Friday, May 16, 2008

Artist Date II "Finding Pete"


Well for my second artist date I took myself to Jack London Square for an exquisite lunch and a romantic walk on the rocks by the bay. It started with lunch at my favorite park bench overlooking the marina. I dined on a scrumptious peanut butter and raspberry sandwich, crunchy cheetos, and a delicious Arizona iced tea. After lunch I took a long walk on the rocks along the banks. It was low tide so the air was filled with the smell of salt water, algae and bay sludge. I was on the search for interesting objects. I gravitate towards chunks of styrofoam that have been weather and water beaten. I found a lot of great objects but I was on my bike so my take was limited to small objects. I did find one gem though, a life size styrofoam parakeet with real feathers! I named it Pete the parakeet. There is something about styrofoam and water. I guess because it never sinks it is always going to be noticed but it seems there is amount of styrofoam chunks in bodies of water. Its a double edge sword of sorts. On one hand it is just a nasty site but on the other it is like finding gold for me, and sometimes you find a new friend like Pete.

1 comment:

Robbyn McGill said...

Hilarious! I love the photo of you and Pete! Makes you look like an Art-Pirate!